Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stalk Your Friends

GoogleMaps 3.0 for mobile phones just came out with a new feature called Latitude. Basically it makes your phone location aware and lets your friends see where you are on a map. If you have never used GoogleMaps on your phone, you're seriously missing out:




GoogleMaps does require an internet connection on your phone. If you don't have internet on your phone plan, you're not a man.

That being said here's some highlights of GoogleMaps Mobile:

  • You can use it instead of paper maps. Throw those away!
  • GPS enabled phones (like some Blackberry's) pinpoint your exact location and provide real-time driving directions. Other phones can get a pretty good idea of where they are.
  • GoogleLatitude. It connects you and friends to see in real-time where people are.
  • Satellite view and StreetView are both included.
  • Traffic routing. Avoid traffic jams.
  • Business listings (like 411)
Before you start complaining about GoogleLatitude and privacy, you can disable it. But it could help you recover your cellphone (read this story). Its primarily meant to be a social networking tool. Either way its worth the test drive on your phone. Go and download it straight to your phone at GoogleMaps Mobile.


ps- for those of you who have Blackberry's without the official Blackberry internet services (like me) let me know and I can help you with an install over your USB cable and computer.



3 comments:

Obisppo said...

Shouldn't this read "Let your friends stalk you?" Sounds like a perfect solution for any guy who wants to develop a SWF complex. Then again I only eek out ~150 txt msgs a month so I'm certainly missing the allure of letting people know if I'm either at work or home.

Darren said...

I agree. Google maps on your phone is a must. When I found out about Latitude I quickly installed it and played around with it for a bit, and I used it for the first time the other day so my friend could find me on campus.

spoon said...

Jon, you work for microsoft. you should be all over this techie stuff!