Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Winter Sandals

Here's a little story I've got to tell about one lonely brother that didn't go to well... (stolen from Beastie Boys - Paul Revere)

Megan was coming home from SLC on Sunday night around 9:30 (That is until Mother Nature showed up) So with her not coming in till at least 12:00, I throw a movie on. That means I have now gotten 'comfy' by putting on sweatpants, taking off my tie, and also took my socks off to really get in the comfy mood. (This is important to the story, I swear) It's now time to go, so I throw on jacket and since I have already taken off my socks, I make the lazy decision to wear sandals. SANDALS people, in the middle of winter. (It's snowing which is why the plane has been delayed) I thought I could get away with this because you know, I'll just be in the car. Fatal decision...

I go to Safeway to buy some flowers for Megan upon here return and as I come back to the 'reliable' car, it won't even turn over. Nothing. I'm pissed. I get this guy who just got off his shift to drive me home, but apparently he didn't want to drive the last 200 yards as he made me walk the last 200 yards. What am I going to do, make this guy drive me? I can't, so I look down the dark alley with too much snow for my sandals to handle and make the walk. Feet are numb and my pride is shot as I jump into my crappy Corolla. So at this point the tally is 1 broken car and 2 yards in the snow with Sandals on.

Stay with me, it gets better.

I then get a call from Megan who lets me know she is even more delayed causing me to pull over to the side of the road right before the Airport. I turn the keys to radio only, (see where this is going) and start listening to Soft Sunday Sounds with Delilah. Right when I am starting to sing along with Christina Auguleira's 'Beautfiul', my car shuts off. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My 2nd car broken within 20 minutes of each other. I then realize that I have to walk in the SNOW (did I mention I was wearing sandals?) I then proceed to walk to about 20 cars spread up and down the road, knocking on windows looking for jumper cables. Really, it was about 15 mins and trying to beg for help before I found the cables.... I felt like Bear Grylls trapped in Antarctica... (ok, not that bad but seriously I felt that 2 broken cars and walking about a 3/4's of a mile in the snow practically bare footed)

Oh, is now a good time to mention that we had jumper cables in the Corolla from when Megan and I were dating but they were in the tire well so I had no idea!

Hope you enjoyed my misery....

3 comments:

Blake Hillstead said...

Unbelievable man! Next time you better call me? For a few reasons - 1. i could save you cuz my Honda Accord barely starts these days (seriously, only in neutral or 2nd gear), 2. Halo 3
3. Halo 3

spoon said...

i understand how crazy sandals in the winter is. my lady friend ONLY wears sandals no matter what. she honestly doesn't own a pair of shoes. i have learned to stomp footprints in the snow show she doesn't get frostbite.

spoon said...

added pic from google images search. Also fixed typos (like Antartica). Use firefox to do your posts and the little red line under the words should give some direction.